Honey buns are a popular treat loved by many for years. They're made of soft dough and filled with a sweet honey glaze.
You can find them in:
- Grocery stores
This makes it easy for everyone to enjoy their favorite treat!
They are versatile and can be enjoyed as:
With their irresistible taste and texture, it's no wonder they continue to be a favorite!
The best brands offer a variety of flavors and textures to suit everyone's taste.
From traditional, fluffy honey buns to those with cinnamon or savory flavors. There are even vegan and gluten-free options available!
Best Honey Bun Brands
They are a beloved treat for many reasons. Their sweet, gooey honey glaze and soft, tender dough make them irresistible. They're versatile and can be enjoyed as a quick breakfast, snack, or dessert.
With so many products available, various flavors and textures exist.
Whether you prefer a traditional, fluffy pastry or something with more flair, there's a variety for everyone.
1. Little Debbie Honey Buns
Little Debbie Honey Buns are a sweet snack with notes of cinnamon and honey coated in a light glaze. Each carton contains six buns.
- Delicious flavor with notes of cinnamon and honey.
- They are individually wrapped for convenience.
- Great as a snack with coffee or afternoon tea.
- The brand offers DIY recipes.
- It contains wheat, soy, milk, and eggs which may not be suitable for those with allergies or dietary restrictions.
2. Mrs. Freshley's Grand White Iced Honey Buns
Mrs. Freshley's Grand White Iced Honey Buns come in a pack of 12. Each bun weighs 6 ounces.
- Large size (50% larger than regular ones).
- Individually wrapped for convenience.
- It can be bought in bulk and then frozen or refrigerated to prolong its life.
- It contains wheat and soy, which may not be suitable for those with allergies or dietary restrictions.
3. Tastykake Iced Honey Buns
Tastykake Iced Honey Buns come in a mega pack of 8. Each bun is coated in a sweet glaze with a delicious honey flavor.
- Delicious honey flavor.
- It comes in a pack of 8.
- Some buns may come stale or expired.
- Products ordered online may be smaller than the ones sold in grocery stores.
4. Mrs. Baird's Honey Buns
Mrs. Baird's Honey Buns weigh 4 ounces each. Each bun has 230 calories per serving.
- It comes in a pack of 8.
- Each bun contains two servings.
5. Tastykake Multipack Honey Bun
Tastykake Multipack Honey Bun is a 10.5 oz. pack. These bakery desserts have a sweet honey flavor.
- Delicious honey flavor.
- A dairy-free option is available.
- The product may be smaller than expected.
- Some buns may lack flavor and glaze.
6. Duchess Honey Buns
Duchess Honey Buns pack contains 12 buns. Each bun weighs 3 ounces and has a sweet honey flavor.
- Each bun is individually wrapped.
- It can be frozen to prolong shelf life.
- Satisfied fan base: Fans report that the product is fresh and delicious.
History of Honey Buns
Origins and Evolution
The history of this delicious pastry dates back to the early 20th century in the United States.
They're believed to have been inspired by traditional European pastries. Over time, they became a staple in American bakeries and kitchens, with many families creating unique recipes.
Different brands emerged as they became famous, each offering their spin on this classic pastry. Some focused on creating the fluffiest dough, while others experimented with unique flavors and fillings.
Today, plenty of options ensure everyone can find their ideal product.
Honey Buns in Popular Culture
Honey buns are a beloved treat that became a staple in popular culture. They've been featured in movies, TV shows, and even music.
- In the 1999 film "Office Space," Milton repeatedly expresses his love for them.
- In the TV show "Friends," Joey, a honey bun fan, discovers his favorite pastries have been discontinued.
These and other instances have helped make them an iconic treat in many people's minds.
Vegan and Gluten-Free Honey Bun Brands
Options for Those with Dietary Restrictions
Traditional honey buns are made with wheat flour, eggs, and dairy.
But several brands offer vegan and gluten-free alternatives for those with dietary restrictions.
- Katz Gluten Free - Their gluten-free version is made with rice, corn, and tapioca flour. It's also dairy-free, perfect for those with lactose intolerance or a dairy allergy.
Honey Bun Pairings
Best Beverages to Accompany Your Honey Bun
Pairing your bun with the right drink can improve the experience.
Here are some popular options:
- Coffee: The bold taste of coffee goes great with the sweet flavor. It's a classic combo!
- Tea: A hot cup of tea can balance out the sweetness. It's a soothing and satisfying choice.
- Milk: If you prefer something cold, try a glass of milk. It cuts through the sweetness and adds a creamy contrast.
Complementary Food Items for a Well-Rounded Treat
Want to make your buns into a complete meal or snack?
Try pairing it with these tasty options:
- Fresh fruit: A side of fresh fruit adds a refreshing and healthy contrast.
- Yogurt: Creamy and tangy yogurt balances the sweetness and adds nutritional benefits.
- Nuts: Add some crunch and protein with a handful of nuts. It makes for a more satisfying and filling snack.
DIY Honey Bun Recipes
Classic Homemade Honey Bun Recipe
A classic homemade recipe can provide a rewarding and delicious experience for those who want to make honey buns.
To make them, you'll need the following ingredients:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- One large egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Follow these steps to create delicious homemade pastry:
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Add warm milk, softened butter, and egg. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Knead dough on a floured surface for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with a towel. Let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut out circles with a cookie cutter or glass and place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a saucepan, combine honey and powdered sugar. Cook on low heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream and vanilla extract.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled honey buns. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Creative Twists on the Traditional Honey Bun
If you want to make the buns even more delicious, here are some ideas:
- Add a cinnamon swirl to the dough for a tasty cinnamon-honey flavor.
- Fill the buns with fruit preserves like raspberry or apricot for a fruity twist.
- Drizzle them with a flavored glaze like maple or caramel for extra sweetness.
What is the Nutritional Value of a Typical Honey Bun?
They are a tasty treat, but their nutritional value can vary.
Depending on the brand and recipe, they can be high in calories, sugar, and carbs.
A typical honey bun has the following:
- Calories: 300-500
- Sugar: 20-30 grams
- Carbohydrates: 40-60 grams
How Long Do Honey Buns Last, and How Should They Be Stored?
They can last for a few days if stored properly.
Here's how to keep them fresh:
- Room temperature: 2-3 days in an airtight container
- Refrigerator: up to a week
- Freezer: up to 3 months
Can Honey Buns be Frozen for Later Consumption?
Yes, you can freeze them for later.
- Wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
- Place them in an airtight container or freezer bag.
Are There Organic or Non-GMO Honey Bun Options Available?
Looking for a healthier and more environmentally conscious option?
Try organic and non-GMO versions.
Brands like Annie's Homegrown and Nature's Path offer them.
There are many honey bun products to choose from, each with its unique flavors and textures.
There's a variety for everyone, from traditional to vegan and gluten-free options.
Find your perfect match by considering your personal preferences and dietary needs.
Whether you prefer a classic honey bun or something more unique, there are plenty of options.
Are you feeling adventurous? Try the DIY recipe or add your twist to the traditional honey bun for a fun and delicious experience.