Taco Shells Buying Guide & Reviews
When you want to make the perfect taco, it is also necessary to have the right taco shell for it. You can either make it yourself to make a truly homemade taco or simply buy one from the store to make your preparations even easier. It comes in all sorts of forms and with different ingredients, which can make it hard to find the right product for you. To make your search easier, we compared brands, product quality and user ratings to present you a review of the best taco shells currently on the market.
1. 365 by Whole Foods Market, Yellow Corn
365 by Whole Foods Market, Taco Shells Yellow Corn Organic, 5.5 Ounce
If you like traditional yellow corn taco shells, then this product might be the one for you. The brand has got a great reputation on the market and its customers claim it to provide your tacos with the right crunch and taste.
Up until now, it has gained a lot of positive feedback and overall great ratings, making it a great starting pick for our list of the best taco shell brands.
2. 365 by Whole Foods Market, Blue Corn
365 by Whole Foods Market, Taco Shells Blue Corn Organic, 5.5 Ounce
Another product from the same brand takes a place on our list of the best taco shells. This time featuring organic stone ground blue masa flour used for making it. It delivers a crispy crunch and is a much healthier option to use, giving it much more popular than many of its competitors.
Because of the brand’s great reputation and a lot of great customer feedback, it is more than good enough to be called one of the best taco shells currently available.
3. Old El Paso Taco Shells – Nacho Cheese
Old El Paso Stand 'N Stuff Bold Nacho Cheese Flavored Taco Shells, 10-count
The next product got its popularity not only because it tastes good, but also because of its form, since it can stand upright on its own, enabling you to much easier fill it with your favorite ingredients. The whole box contains 10 taco shells and makes up for an easy and fast filling.
All in all, it has a lot of overall great ratings and a lot of positive feedback from its customers, giving it enough positive features to be listed in our review of the best taco shells.
4. Siete Grain Free Taco Shells
Siete Grain Free Taco Shells, 12 Count
The next product gained a lot of popularity because of its high-quality ingredients. It is promised to be without and dairy, grain, gluten or GMOs. To even further increase its popularity, it is also Paleo and vegan-friendly.
Not only does it offer a great taste, but it also has one of the best ratings of them all, making this a great addition to our review of the best taco shell brands.
5. Garden of Eatin’ Yellow Corn Taco Kit
Garden of Eatin' Taco Dinner Kit, Yellow Corn, 12 Taco Shells
This taco kit not only includes taco shells but also comes with seasoning and sauce to make your dinner preparations as fast as possible. All of its ingredients are said to be of the highest quality and organic. It doesn’t contain any GMOs and is certified to be organic.
Out of all the mentioned products here, this one has one of the highest popularity of them all, making it a great pick for our top 10 list of the best taco shell brands.
6. Ortega 12 Yellow Corn Taco Shells
Ortega 12 Yellow Corn Taco Shells 5.8 Oz
This box contains 12 yellow taco shells that don’t contain any gluten, trans fat or cholesterol. It has been on the market for quite some time now and has gained a lot of popularity because of its ingredients and overall popularity.
With so many positive features, how could we not mention this product in our top 10 list?
7. La Tiara Taco Shells – 2 Packs Of 36 Shells
La Tiara Taco Shells, 36-count Box (Pack of 2)
The next product features authentic Mexican taco shells that are purely made out of yellow corn. Each box contains 36 of these shells, which is more than enough to last you for some time. It is a great pick for the ones who are planning to have guests over or are making a picnic.
Because of the larger quantity of product you get by purchasing 1 box, overall good ratings and user feedback, it is more than fair to mention it in our review of the best taco shells.
8. La Tiara Taco Shells – 6 Packs Of 12 Shells
La Tiara Taco Shells, 12-count Box (Pack of Six Boxes)
Another product from the brand La Tiara takes a place on our list. This time featuring 12 taco shells per box that are made with yellow corn. The brand has been on the market for quite some time without lowering its high quality.
It has been a popular pick among many. With so much positive feedback from its customers, how could we not mention this product in our review of the 10 best taco shells?
9. La Tiara Taco Shells, 2 Packs Of 18 Shells
La Tiara Taco Shells, 18-count Box (Pack of 2)
This brand taking up 3 places in our top 10 review just additionally shows how much effort the brand puts in delivering its customers with high-quality products. This time featuring 18 taco shells per box.
Because of the brand’s great reputation and overall good ratings on Amazon, we thought it would be a good idea to mention it more than 1 time in our review of the best taco shell brands.
10. Ortega Taco Meal Kits
Ortega Taco Dinner Kit, Fiesta Flats Tacos, 12 Count
The last product on our list features not only taco shells but also seasoning and sauce to help you make great tacos in a short time. Because of the shell’s unique form and the great seasoning and sauce that comes with it, it has gained a lot of popularity.
Because of the great overall rating, a lot of positive feedback from its customers and good quality, it is more than good enough to take a place on our list of the best taco shells.
FAQ – Taco Shells Frequently Asked Questions
Below you can find the most searched questions about taco shells on the internet. We try our best to answer them in as much detail as possible. Hopefully, you will learn something new and it will be easier for you to decide whether you want to buy taco shells.
What Is A Taco Shell Made Of?
A taco shell is mainly made from flour, oil and salt. There are many different varieties on how to make them, which include different types of flours, seasonings and how you make them.
How Many Carbs And Calories Are In A Taco Shell?
A taco shell has 60.5 calories and 8.1 grams of carbs. It also contains 2.8 grams of fat, 41.1 milligrams of sodium, 29.3 milligrams of potassium and 0.8 grams of protein. It has some minor amounts of vitamins, minerals and fatty acids, too.
How To Make Taco Shell Bowls?
To make taco shell bowls you’ll need:
- 2 flour tortillas
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 ramekins
- Aluminum foil
- Preheat your oven to 190° C (375° F).
- Take the vegetable oil and brush both sides of tortillas with it.
- Put the ramekin on your table and take your tortillas: center them into the ramekin.
- Make 2 even layers of aluminum foil and place them over the tortillas, pressing down to form a nice bowl shape.
- Place the tortillas on a baking sheet. Optionally you can leave 2 inches of the tortilla edges out, so they will get nice and crispy.
- Put the baking sheet in preheated oven for about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and with care remove the ramekins.
- Transfer back to the oven. Bake for 5 minutes more, until the shells, get slightly brown. Remove from oven.
- With care remove the aluminum foil and set it aside. Flatten the used foil and invert the shells on it. Put the foil around the bottom of the shells.
- Put the baking sheet back into the oven. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and invert the shells again.
- Put it back in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes more. Remove from oven and let them cool off completely.
How To Make A Cheese Taco Shell?
To make cheese taco shells you’ll need:
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- Preheat your oven to 400° F (200° C). Take 2 baking sheets and line them with parchment paper.
- Take a wooden spoon and wrap the handle with aluminum foil.
- Spread the cheddar cheese on the baking sheets, making 6-inch circles.
- Bake until the cheese melts (6 to 8 minutes). Let cool for 2 minutes.
- Lift the cheese with a spatula and put it over the aluminum foil-wrapped wooden handle. Let cool for 10 minutes.
How To Fry A Taco Shell?
To make fry taco shells you’ll need:
- 2 cups of canola oil
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil until it reaches 375°.
- Hold the tortilla with a metal tong and submerge the bottom half of the tortilla into oil.
- Fold it to create a taco shape.
- Again gently submerge the bottom half into the oil with the help of a fork to keep it submerged, while holding the top of the tortilla with tongs.
- Fry the bottom half for 10 seconds, until it sets the shape. Flip it over and fry the other half for 20 seconds, until nicely brown.
- If needed, return the first half into oil for about 5 seconds, so both sides are evenly browned.
- Put the shells on a rack over a paper towel so they’ll cool.
- All you need now is the ingredients and the best taco sauce and you can make delicious tacos!
Who Invented The Hard Shell Taco
The hard shell taco was invented by Juvencio Maldonado. Juvenico maldanado owned a restaurant in Oaxaca, while he lived in New York. He patented the taco-making machine in 1950.
Taco Shells – Better Bought Or Homemade?
Many people simply rather purchase taco shells than make them themselves, since it saves a lot of time.
Here you can see a video by Babish Culinary Universe which is one of the more popular channels currently on Youtube in terms of various types of unique recipes. It shows you a step-by-step guide on how to make delicious homemade tacos by using ingredients that you can get anywhere.
When deciding to make some tacos, not only is the filling important but also what kind of taco shells you use. We hope this review was helpful in your search. If you want to learn more about the topic, you are welcome to browse our webpage for more information.