Wheatgrass powder is made from the young grass shoots of the wheat plant, harvested just 7-10 days after sprouting. It contains a wide array of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other beneficial plant compounds.
Many people add wheatgrass powder to smoothies, juices and other foods and drinks to boost nutritional value. But since it's a natural plant product, wheatgrass powder doesn't last forever.
So does wheatgrass powder expire? How long does it last? And what's the best way to store it to maximize freshness? Keep reading to find out.
What makes wheatgrass so impressive is its exceptionally high concentration of vitamins, minerals and bioactive compounds:
- Vitamins A, C and E - Potent antioxidants.
- B-complex vitamins - For energy production.
- Iron, magnesium, calcium and zinc - Bone health and blood formation.
- Chlorophyll - Antioxidant that gives wheatgrass its green color. Also aids detoxification.
- Flavonoids and phenolic acids - Anti-inflammatory agents.
- Amino acids - Help transport nutrients into the bloodstream.
This combination of nutrients is responsible for the many proposed health benefits of wheatgrass.
Does Wheatgrass Powder Expire?
Now let's dive into the main question - does wheatgrass powder expire?
The short answer is yes, wheatgrass powder does expire and lose potency over time.
As a natural plant product, it contains delicate vitamins, enzymes and other compounds. Exposure to oxygen, light, heat and moisture all cause it to degrade.
Manufacturers are required to print expiration dates on all packaged foods and supplements, including superfood powders. For wheatgrass powder, the expiration date is usually 1-2 years from the production date.
So check your container for the "best by" or "expires on" date to know when your wheatgrass powder will expire.
How to Store Wheatgrass Powder Properly
To retain maximum freshness and nutritional potency of wheatgrass powder, be sure to store it correctly.
Follow these wheatgrass powder storage tips:
- Keep in an airtight container - Exposure to oxygen degrades nutrients. Store in an airtight jar, bag or the original packaging.
- Store in a cool, dark place - Heat and light also accelerate degradation of vitamins, etc. Store wheatgrass powder in a cool, dark cupboard or pantry. Refrigeration can extend life too.
- Check for clumping - Dump out entire contents periodically and check for clumping, which indicates moisture exposure. If clumped, it may be stale.
- Use by expiration date - For best quality and nutrition, use wheatgrass powder by the "best by" date stamped on the container.
Proper storage helps wheatgrass powder retain nutrients and potency as long as possible, extending useful life almost to the expiration date.
Signs Wheatgrass Has Gone Bad
It's always important to inspect wheatgrass powder before use. Look for the following signs that your wheatgrass may be expired or gone bad:
- Change in color - Faded, dull color instead of vibrant green.
- Lack of aroma - Stale, weak smell rather than fresh grassy scent.
- Clumping - Powder is moist and sticks together in clumps.
- Off flavors - Unpleasant bitter, sour or moldy taste.
If you notice any of the above, it's best to discard your wheatgrass powder rather than risk consuming degraded nutrients.
A few quick safety reminders when buying and using wheatgrass powder:
- Purchase from reputable brands - Seek quality, reputable manufacturers to ensure you receive a fresh, pure product.
- Avoid cross-contamination - Store wheatgrass powder away from moisture, pests and other contaminants. Never put the used spoon back into the powder.
- Don't rely on it alone - Wheatgrass powder complements a healthy diet but doesn't replace it. Eat a balanced whole food diet as your main nutrition source.
Does wheatgrass powder go bad if not refrigerated?
It's ideal to refrigerate unopened wheatgrass powder for maximum longevity. However, unopened containers can be safely stored in a cool, dry pantry for 1 year or until the best-by date. Once opened, it's best to then refrigerate.
Can you eat expired wheatgrass powder?
It's not recommended. Although likely not harmful, wheatgrass powder quickly loses beneficial nutrients after the expiration date. For full value, enjoy wheatgrass powder before it expires. Discard open packages within 3-6 months since nutrients degrade rapidly after opening.
How long does wheatgrass juice last?
Fresh wheatgrass juice only lasts for about 1-2 days maximum. For longer shelf life, freeze small portions immediately or turn it into powder form. Wheatgrass juice powder lasts 1-2 years or until the expiration date when properly stored.
Does wheatgrass go bad?
Yes, fresh wheatgrass mold and wilts within a few days. Wheatgrass juice also spoils quickly. Wheatgrass powder lasts longer thanks to drying, but also degrades over months to years. Rely on smell, appearance and flavor - not the use-by date alone - to determine if your wheatgrass has spoiled.
Wheatgrass powder provides a wide array of beneficial nutrients from the humble wheat plant. But like any natural health product, it has a limited shelf life and will degrade over time.
For best quality and nutritional value, store wheatgrass powder properly in an airtight container in a cool, dark place. Refrigeration can also help it keep longer. Use wheatgrass powder before the expiration date, within 1 year of purchase.